Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blacks

In chapter 2 of the book, What is the What, I really related to him when he was talking about African American stereo types. People assume that blacks are supposed to be violent drug dealers from the ghetto. Unfortunately they automatically carry that bad reputation. And when Valentino wasn't acting "black:" he was considered a sell out. This happened to me more times then I can count. Because I don't fit into a stereotypes people jump to conclusions, that I'm white washed or selling out. I get extremely upset, because I don't want to be put in any racial genre, I simply want to be myself, and people can identify me from there. And its even more upsetting when black people try to act out their presumable social status of being down . I feel like the way some portray them selves, its like they want to be looked down upon. Which makes matters worse and at this rate you can't help but to think that black people are violent drug dealers. But it is worth the time to actually know a person before you can tell them who they are. So because i don't I fit into any category, don't think I'm not black, I am just being who I want to be and no stereo type is going to tell me otherwise.

"don't judge a person by the color of their skin, but the content of their character"

No comments:

Post a Comment