Saturday, November 20, 2010

I know I am a heavy sleeper, but I know for a gosh darn fact I would never do this! The narrator drives Mr. Norton near the country side. And we meet this guy, Jim Trueblood, who raped her daughter in HIS sleep. Being a poor black family they sleep in one bed, and while Mr. Trueblood is sleeping he is unconsciously having sex with his daughter. That's so terrible, probably more horrific reading about it than watching in on screen. The descriptions just make you feel gross. But Mr. Trueblood is more interesting to the white people compared to the other black people. I don't know if this was done to make white people gruesome. Going by the stereotypical theory that white "trailer trash" people are sloppy and just have incestuous sex. Kind of like black people liking white people if they were to appreciate fried chicken. See, that is a little racist so it could possibly the theory based on the context of discrimination in the book.
Something I'd like to point about Mr. Norton is that he is always drinking! Every page mentions a drinking reference like 4-5 times. If i didn't know I would think that Mr.Norton was an alcoholic. And pardon the racism, but i think Mr. Norton being white and alcohol can also be a stereotypical. I think of those intellecutals who are beaten and just drink and think all day which usually white people do. Like Stephen King and Edgar Allen Poe.

No comments:

Post a Comment